The village hall was opened in 1924. In recent times a ballot was held in the village to decide whether to build a new hall on a new location or to refresh the current hall. The result was that the refurbishment was given the go-ahead.
The first phase of the project to refurbish the hall was completed in March 2010 and the second phase in 2012 involved refurbishing the village hall reading room, a community space that adjoins the main village hall at the back of the building.
The refurbishment work centred around removing an existing wall and extending the reading room towards Jackson’s Lane. New access stairs, entrance doors and lobby area were created together with new improved kitchen and toilet facilities. The roof of the reading room also received a much-needed upgrade.
We are pleased to announce the next phase of our refurbishment is now completed and the Main Hall has been insulated and redecorated alongside the previous upgrade to the heating, lighting and electrics. We would like to thank those organisations who have provided funds to help with the project. They are The Big Lottery Fund, Weston Parish Council and North Herts District Council (Baldock area Committee).
The hall is now fully open and has been fitted with new curtains, blackout blinds, and a built-in surround sound speaker system for the Cinema Club and other events.
This ‘new look’ makes the hall feel bright and modern, more attractive to users, and helps us to offer a top rate local facility. Come and enjoy your fabulous community hall!
The Reading Room has now been upgraded, the room has been freshly painted and has a smart new carpet. Work has now been done to improve the hot water supply in the kitchen and the main ladies toilet area. A new kitchen has been fitted and the main hall and toilet areas have been repainted. The book exchange is now open on Saturdays 10am-12 noon.
Watch out for new chairs too, coming soon!